Friday, June 10, 2011

The 'chester

Location: Rochester, New York
Local time: 12:00 am

Back in Upstate New York. While I'm up here I'll see some friends and family, and that's about the extent of my plans at this point. One of the first things I've done is visit one of my undergraduate professors. Before becoming a professor he was a lawyer, and aside from wanting to catch up with him in general I wanted to talk to him about how he decided to be a professor coming from being a lawyer. I got some great advice from him. Two main points stuck out (I'm paraphrasing here):

1. Think about what you want your day to be like. This seems to me to be a good way to look at the big question from a practical perspective. Do I want to spend my days in an office or outdoors or some combination of the two? Do I want to spend my days working alone? I think answering these questions will help me analyze things from the bottom up.

2. Figure out what specific characteristics of a job I want, and those I don't want. This is another way of looking at the big question from a different perspective. I had been asking myself what jobs or career I might prefer, which now seems to me to skip over an important step in the analysis: what are the specific characteristics I like and do not like. After figure those out I can move on to looking for what has the characteristics I like.

I still don't have any answers, but I think I now have a better means of figuring them out.

June 4 miles: 335

Total miles to date: 2,346.1

No comments:

Post a Comment