Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Days 2&3

Location: Lexington, KY
Local time: 1:06 pm

I left Lawrence around 7 am on May 2nd and headed east to my Mom's place in Lexington, Kentucky. The drive through Missouri was uneventful, but soon after I crossed into Illinois it started raining and didn't stop for the rest of the drive. Parts of Illinois were flooded nearly up to the level of the highway surface. I saw a lot of fresh roadkill in Indiana. My guess is they were driven to find higher ground by all the water. But then again I'm just an unemployed bum so what do I know.

I made it to Lexington around 7 pm yesterday and will be here until Friday. One thing I noticed (too late in the process, unfortunately) when I was packing up the car in Denver was that I have way too much stuff to bring in the car. One of my projects while I'm here in Lexington will be to whittle down my stuff and leave the excess here. The primary target is my clothes. I want to cut the amount I have with me in half.

Another lesson I've learned the hard way is that the roof cargo carrier on my car is not totally waterproof. Considering the amount of rain and road spray I drove through yesterday I have to say it did well. Nothing in it was soaked, and I have time here to dry things off. No permanent damage was done. I'll just make sure to wrap stuff in garbage bags or the like before loading it in there.

I'm going to use this blog for more than just an account of where I've been and what I'm doing. I'd also like to write about some of the things I'm thinking about, whatever they may be. Hopefully I'll have a chance to do a bit of that while I'm here. It's not like I have a job to go to.

May 2 miles: 640
May 3 miles: 0

Total miles to date: 1,216.1

8 comments:

  1. Jeez, you've already traveled like, twice what that Proclaimers song was about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naw The Proclaimers would walk one thousand miles THEN walk one thousand more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's all hold Wade's Proclaimers knowledge against him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wade you are wrong dude ---

    http://www.lyricsondemand.com/onehitwonders/imgonnabe500mileslyrics.html

    "But I would walk 500 miles
    And I would walk 500 more
    Just to be the man who walked 1000 miles
    To fall down at your door"

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol. How did you get that wrong WMF Jones?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damnit.
    Well it has been about 500 years since I heard that song.
    :sulk:

    ReplyDelete
  7. ps kirkor = Jared ... I didn't have a blogger profile so I had to dust off the ol' livejournal!

    ReplyDelete