Tuesday, May 24, 2011

New York City

Location: Manhattan, New York
Local time: 1:10 pm

I noticed I forgot to mention the distance traveled from Lexington, KY, to Manassas, VA. That leg of the trip was 531 miles, and brought the running total up to 1,747.1.



I have been in New York City since Sunday, May 8. I haven't done a lot of touristy stuff here, instead I've spent my time primarily hanging out with friends and taking it easy. Pretty soon after I arrived we went up to Foxwoods to see Jerry Seinfeld live. He's no Louis CK, but it was still great to see him live finally.

On Wednesday, May 18, I went to the True Chip Till Death awards to see Shrimps performing throughout the evening. Here they are with Bud Melvin giving the night a happy ending:



It feels like it's been raining here non-stop since I arrived, so once a nice day finally came we went to Central Park for a bit.




This past weekend saw more chip music action at Blip Festival and a show on Sunday featuring the one and only Brady Leo. Also I unwittingly donated $20 to some kind of Brooklyn animal shelter. The less said about that the better.

Yesterday I went down to the World Trade Center site. This is the first view I got when I came out of the subway station:



That's One World Trade Center under construction. More pictures of it and the construction:






There is also a memorial but the line to get in was out the door and I didn't feel like standing around in a line for hours. I did get a good look at this outside though:



I'm not sure how much longer I want to stay in New York City. Though I love to walk around and people-watch, it's a bit overwhelming at times because there is no escaping people. Sometimes I don't want to be around crowds and have to dodge people left and right when walking down the sidewalk. I find myself wanting to stay in sometimes just to get some (relative) peace and quiet. The question is not if I'm leaving here, but when.


May 8 miles: 264

Total miles to date: 2,011.1

2 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTxBc_-XxmI

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can clearly see how much you enjoyed your stay with short and i... one month and all you say is how you can't wait to leave! hmph.

    ReplyDelete